Whether you’re a first-time homeowner or a seasoned business owner, you’re bound to have experienced plumbing issues in the past—or want to avoid any plumbing issues in the future. While it’s inevitable you’ll likely experience an issue at some point, it’s incredibly easy to avoid any potentially intense problems by keeping a few simple tips in mind.
With years of experience, our Cold Spring, New York, plumbing company has seen just about everything you can imagine—and we want to help you steer clear or seeing some of these things for yourself. Here’s what you need to know about keeping your plumbing in the best shape possible.
Tip #1: Keep your pipes pristine
We know, we know: “pristine” may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about plumbing. But trust us that this tip will help keep your pipes in peak condition.
While toilet tissue is just fine to flush (though not in large quantities), other household items often are not. Even though many items that say they are flushable may do fine going down your pipes, they likely do not flush well over time, and can cause serious drain issues, including:
- Baby wipes
- Feminine hygiene products
- Makeup removal wipes
- Cotton products
Tip #2: Don’t let leaks get away from you
Leaks can seemingly come out of nowhere. Faucets and showerheads are known to leak from time to time if you didn’t turn the handle tight enough. That’s a common occurrence, but not necessarily a problem if you don’t let it run too long.
But if you notice a leaky faucet that won’t stop dripping even after you’ve ensured the handle is tightened, then it’s likely a problem. At this point, the tip is to call your Cold Spring, NY, plumbing company, and have us come take a look. Leaky faucets are often an easy fix, but they could be a sign of something more problematic. Whatever it is, we’ll inspect it and get it fixed, 24/7.
Tip #3: Keep your pipes warm
Winters in New York can be pretty harsh. And that’s especially true for pipes of all ages, particularly older pipes. Taking precautions to keep your pipes from freezing even during the depths of winter is not only a way to avoid costly repairs of burst pipes, but to spare yourself the headache of a flooded home and more strenuous repairs.
To keep your pipes warm, do the following:
- Keep your heat on, even when you’re gone for a while. This will help keep the temperature from fluctuating too wildly, causing less strain on your pipes.
- Let your faucet drip a bit. We know it’s contradictory to the previous tip, but during cold snaps, allowing just a bit of water to drip out can help keep your pipes from getting too cold.
- Seal any cracks or holes. If you notice any gaps between your pipes, walls, or floors, take the time to spread any caulk over them to keep the heat in.
- Wrap your pipes with insulation. Often, pipes in basements, attics, crawl spaces, or garages may not have thick insulation. Do yourself a favor and apply some extra insulation to keep them warm all winter long.
Give your pipes the best treatment with MJS Plumbing & Heating
Whether you need a routine pipe and plumbing inspection, or you’ve got a potentially serious issue you need checked out ASAP, don’t hesitate to call at any time. We’re happy to schedule an appointment at your convenience, but we also know emergencies arise. That’s why we’re proud to offer 24/7 emergency service, so you don’t have to worry about any issues lasting longer than they already have. Contact us today to get started.